Monday, June 4, 2012

HIPSTER

In my Sociology class, the teacher was going around making out loud assumptions about the students. He was trying to show all of the obvious things about people that are clearly visible status symbols. He was touching on clothing, hair styles, jewelry and even what type of drink that person happened to have.
Most of the observations dealt with clothing. There's a sporty basketball chick with a Nike shirt, shorts and shoes, a well-to-do middle aged woman with a big wedding ring and of course, the standard plenty of people in WSU apparel.

After hitting most of the class, he made it to the back of the class, which is where I reside. One glance at my shirt and he exclaimed "Oh here we go!" Here's a cell pic of what I was wearing that day:


The teacher read my Rage Against The Machine shirt out loud. Then he said I'm probably fairly counterculture and that my political views were most likely non-traditional. His first question was "Do you drink PBR?" to which I laughingly agreed.

"What would you say he is class?" he asked "The hat, the hair, the Converse shoes..."

One preppy kid voiced, "Uh... a hipster?"

"Ah OK, a hipster!" the teacher said. "How does one become a hipster?"

I replied "Hell I don't know. I guess it just happens?"

I was a bit taken back as you can tell from my weak retort. Honestly, this is the first time that I have ever been referred to as a hipster. I didn't know if I should be pissed or pleased! So what does one do to verify and get informed? Google that shit! Here's what Dictionary.com had to say:
hip·ster
noun Slang
1. a person who is hip.
2. hepcat.
3. a person, especially during the 1950s, characterized by a particularly strong sense of alienation from most established social activities and relationships. 

That really changes my perspective on the issue as not one of those three definitions are bad. I always just assumed that hipster was a derogatory term. I thought it was some jackass trying to be cool with his guitar but was really just a douche with a ponytail. I guess I was wrong! So even though I'm not one for labels, I suppose I can accept that title loosely. But still, just because my hair is longer and I rock band shirts that must mean I drink Pabst? How odd.

That reminds me, I need to do a PBR run.


1 comment:

  1. http://icanhascheezburger.com/cheezburger-confidential-hipster-kitty/

    "The final puzzle piece fell into place when, at a house party, Hipster Kitty had his first taste of PBR. And, oh, how it tasted."

    ReplyDelete

Featured Posts

Labels