Tuesday, January 24, 2012

GWAR, MANSON AND MY DAUGHTER

My daughter Alexandria had been wanting a boom box (yes, that was in fact what she called it… how dope is that?!) for her room. So she got one of our old CD players to jam out to. Then for the holiday season, Nicky gave her a CD of Christmas music to fit the mood.

This weekend, Nicky and I were working on a mix CD to give to her. Nicky randomly picked some stuff that she might enjoy. I then added songs that I thought she might dig as well, along with ones that I remember her singing or mentioning that she liked. As I was adding my contributions, Alex came over and sat on my lap to help.

Alex picked a couple of Disney songs and the credits theme song to Spongebob, standard kid stuff. We stuck Around the World by Daft Punk and a few other oddities as well. Then she asked if she could have the songs School's Out and This is Halloween. I know she has heard the originals by Alice Cooper and Danny Elfman, but she wanted the harder versions by Gwar and Marilyn Manson. I nearly exploded with glee.

I only mention this because until I moved back to Kansas two years ago, she had only seen me a few weeks out of the year. Her main influence was her mother and my ex and I have completely different tastes in... well... everything. To put it mildly and completely non-derogatory towards her, my ex just likes what the radio or MTV says is popular. Now do you understand my excitement?

So in tribute, here are the videos:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts

Labels