Tuesday, February 5, 2013

JANET HIMEBAUGH

My grandmother, Janet Himebaugh, passed away this Thursday at the age of 81 after a more than 10 year battle with Alzheimer's. I'm saddened more than I can ever express but I'm glad that she's no longer struggling. Now she's with my lineage and is at peace.

There are a ton of things I could say about my grandmother but I'll stick with what rings out the loudest for me personally. Janet was meticulous and organized like no one I have ever known. Her party planning and homemaking skills were unmatched. Simply put, she made June Cleaver look like a slacker. She was an extremely well known person in Wichita and abroad and class was her middle name. That never stopped her from rolling up her sleeves though and getting dirty when needed. But you better believe that she looked good doing it. Grandma was always there for every single one of our family, no matter what. She was the rock for us all and the strongest woman I have ever known or probably ever will.

Janet and my grandfather William, better known as Bill, met at North High. They had a relationship that complimented each other perfectly for over 60 years. The following is an exert from an article in the Wichita Eagle that was written about my grandparents loving relationship.
"One night they drove past one another at 29th and Arkansas in north Wichita. Bill honked to get Janet to pull over. “I asked her if she wanted to go to the midnight show at the old Palace Theater, which was at Douglas and Broadway then,’’ Himebaugh said. “They were showing some horror movie, ‘Frankenstein Did This’ or ‘Werewolf Does That.’ ” The movie didn’t matter. Getting Janet to agree to go to the movie was what it was all about. She did and their romance took off from there."
Thus my grandparents first date was a horror movie. How awesome is that. Today was the funeral so it's hard for me to even write this as the tears are welling up. So I'll end it like this; Janet Himebaugh was a teacher, doting wife and loving mother, but to me she was grandma. I love you and I will always miss you.


The Himebaughs
Top: William (Grandpa), Right: Karen (Mom)
Left: Jerry (Uncle). Bottom: Janet (Grandma)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts

Labels