Saturday, February 2, 2013

POLAR: POLAR SHIFT

I recently had the privilege of working with a Wichita based hip-hop artist that goes by the name Polar. We collaborated on his CD project entitled Polar Shift and he was pretty open to suggestion on what direction to take the artwork. Polar shift is in relation to the pole shift hypothesis. This is an actual scientific theory that suggests rapid shifts in the location of Earth's poles and it's axis of rotation will create massive calamities such as earthquakes and floods. With that in mind, I went with something that had a "science" feel, hence the graph and subtle axis overlays. Polar knew he wanted the CD to look clean and he liked the illustration style that I do so I wanted to work that in on his actual photo. Then to run with the epic earthquake and polar "icy" feel, I incorporated the massive ice crack running through the front of the CD. I didn't want it to be overly campy and have something lame like ice cubes floating around or something corny like him dressed as Sub-Zero. I felt that the overall blue color scheme was more than enough to feel chilly. I did all the photography, album design and logo creation, as you might have guessed.

CD Front

CD Back

Check out Polar and help support the music and art scene!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts

Labels