Tuesday, September 27, 2011

PALADIN: PAL-UH-DIN

When Nicky and I were deciding on our sons name, we knew if when we chose Paladin that people would think it was a little odd and unconventional, which we liked. We also figured that some people might have trouble pronouncing it. Personally, I can't even fathom saying it any other way than how it is meant to be. But then again I knew what a paladin was way back from my childhood. See, I actually enjoy reading, unlike most Americans these days. So just to clarify, his name is not pronounced pal-lay-din or pal-uh-dine, it's Pal-uh-din.

Anyways, paladins are the greatest of all knights. The title originally came from Charlemagne's (if you don't know who he is, crack a history book and look up Europe) twelve greatest knights which were the first and most famous of these noble warriors. But this was actually the lessor reason why I dug this for a name.

The number one basis for naming out son Paladin was due to the lead character on the 50's western TV show, Have Gun Will Travel. Nicky and I absolutely love that show and the lead, played by Richard Boone, was just too freaking rad. Intelligence was his greatest weapon. He could sling a pistol like no other but knew that violence was only needed if all else failed. He had style, morals and sophistication but was rough, rugged and tough as nails. I could go on but I think you get the picture.

With epic defining qualities like bad ass knights, a man's man gunslinger and sheer uniqueness, how could I not chose Paladin as a name for my son? It already sounds awesome like a rock star, artist or even a president's name?



So remember... it's PAL as in he's your friend and mine, UH as in the sound that most people utter when I ask them who Charlemagne was or about Have Gun Will Travel, and DIN as in the den of house or dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts

Labels