Friday, May 13, 2011

MOVIE REVIEW: THE SOCIAL NETWORK AND SUCKER PUNCH

Short (Semi Spoiler Free) Verdicts

The Social Network
An interesting docudrama on the roots and founders of Facebook. Well done all the way around from the acting, to the writing to the score.
Stars: ★★★★☆

Sucker Punch
Samurai, Nazis, dragons, robots, explosions... all being trounced by scantily clad chicks with swords and guns. This is a movie that girl power advocates and horny boys can high five about. Don't expect anything more than eye candy and a killer soundtrack.
Stars: ★★★☆☆

Full Reviews (SPOILER ALERT)

The Social Network
I wouldn't have given a pretentious "look at me I'm cool" movie about Facebook a chance especially with one of Hollywood's new nerd heroes at the helm. But there were just too many things forcing me to watch it. It's directed by David Fincher (Fight Club, Seven) and scored by Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) let alone the fact that it was nominated for best picture so how could I miss it? I have to say, I'm glad I watched it. It was pretty revealing.

Mark Zuckerberg, the brain and talent behind Facebook but there were a lot of highly motivated, extremely talented and well-to-do people involved. This whole movies portrayal of him can be described with two words, brilliant and prick. Most of how Mark handled his responses to everyone's bullshit was pretty inspiring and of course well spoken. But he was definitely smug and shifty. I wonder how realistic everything was, especially when it came to him.

Sucker Punch
I read review after review on how awful this movie was. So I went to go see it at the cheap theater with exquisitely low expectations. I have to say, I walked away quite entertained. It wasn't a mind bloggler of a plot or well acted by any means. It was all about the ass kicking, special effects and bare thighs.

Most of this movie was computer generated but it was pretty well done. They over saturated everything that was real so it blended quite nicely. I liked how there wasn't any time period constraints on the outfits, weapons and settings. It was amusing seeing a girl in a pin-up style outfit shooting a modern AR-15 assult rifle at a bunch of Nazi steam-punk zombies. So since we were visiting a fantasy realm, it was acceptable to kick ass in heels that you would normally snap an ankle in. But I don't think any of the visual fun would have been nearly as good without the pulse pounding soundtrack that was so well intertwined. It was comprised of pretty well done covers including White Rabbit, Sweet Dreams and Where is my Mind.

Over all it was a little boys wet dream and totally enjoyable if you dig fantasy, comic books, anime or plain old action. Since I'm just a little boy trapped in a mans body, the critics can sniff my white ass. I totally left the theater smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts

Labels