Friday, May 6, 2011

TALK POLITICS

Politics is one of those "taboo" topics that people try to avoid talking about casually. I have always thought that if there is something people are avoiding then it's probably a subject that seriously needs your attention. Everyone should stay well informed about what's going on with our elected officials. But I completely understand the justification for why it's avoided. It has a lot of blind faith followers that are easily upset or unable to be reasoned with. That and I've found that most people just like to complain and the government is an easy target. Hell, fuck authority is one of my top credos so I fall into that category too.

My distaste for controlling figures and power mad regimes aside, I would like to think that I'm an open minded person. If you serve up cold hard facts and show me the grounds for your stance then I will legitimately weigh it against mine. I'll make an educated choice, leaving my emotions out of the decision the best that I can. Just make sure that you aren't attacking me with your beliefs because no one likes things crammed down their throat. Unfortunately, most people that I've come across aren't open for reasoning. They attach themselves to an easy answer and fight to maintain their allegiance or safety blanket at any cost. I know so many people that pick a candidate solely on their backing party. Piss on parties. There shouldn't be sides, only what each person stands for. Then you have those people that align with a singular person and defend them fanatically. Oh my candidate was lying? It's the media's fault. Oh my bureaucratic hero keeps fumbling on important issues they swore to tend to? That doesn't matter because they follow my religious beliefs or eat the same foods that I do. Oh my government official is a moronic and crooked piece of crap? Well at least they're attractive. Wait... you have facts proving your point? Well I don't like being wrong and I'm angry, so shut up.

Don't choose a leader just because they're on a particular party or opposite of a group or person that you despise. Don't choose a politician based one thing they propose or stand for. Make sure that they are almost completely whole and would actually be good for everyone. This will take some fact checking of course. It's sad that I even have to mention it but I know people that based their decision on this, don't vote for someone because of their appearance or sex. Like for instance, hotter than the other candidates or their skin color. Pick a leader that has clear goals and if they don't follow through, then stand up and ask them why.

If you're horse didn't win then don't just whine about it and blame all the worlds ills on who did. Find a way to make difference:
  • Start a focus group or movement for the next election
  • Make sure your like minded peers actually vote
  • Contact other elected officials with positive solutions
If those are too civil for your tastes then take more drastic measures:
  • Go protest on the lawn of the White House
  • Graffiti D.C. with anti-Führer messages
  • Coordinate a riot
  • Blow up something politically valuable
  • Become the second gunman
Whatever you decide, don't just bitch endlessly. You're more than likely preaching to the choir, wasting your breath on those that don't care or butting heads with another politically immovable object. How ever you slice it, you'll just end up driving everyone away from you. So if you don't make an impression the first few times you voice your opinion then try another route besides ranting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts

Labels