Tuesday, August 9, 2011

WICHITA STATE UNIVERSITY MASCOT

For the past couple of days at my job, I've been working with product photography with team logos from all of the major colleges across the country. It's kind of interesting seeing what universities have for their mascots. It makes me curious as to why some of them chose what they did.

Then I started thinking about Wichita State University's mascot, the college I will be attending for the first time this fall. Their mascot is the WuShock, a muscly bundle of wheat. WSU's site says his name is divided into two parts. One from when the college was simply titled Wichita University, or WU for short. The second being that most players earned extra money harvesting or "shocking" wheat in their spare time.

Isn't that just farm-tastic.

I'm super stoked to go to WSU and all but a pile of dead grass isn't exactly menacing, let alone cool. Couldn't they have picked something real that was rooted in Wichita's history like cowboys, Indians or bison? Hell, I'd be down with a locust or some other farm pest. Back in Virginia, Richmond University gets to be the spider. That's the coolest mascot ever! The only thing cooler than that would be a ninja but I don't think there were any of those in Wichita until I came along.

Oh well. I suppose I can get behind the idea of being a shocker. Better than the Wichita pink elves or something worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts

Labels