Tuesday, June 21, 2011

WSU STUDENT ORIENTATION

I sit in the food commons at WSU, waiting patiently. I just got a horrible picture taken for my new student ID and I'm try not to look annoyed by it and my surroundings. Neighboring me sits an array of post high schoolers. Uncomfortable nerds, jocky spuds, zit laden filler kids and a butt-ton of girls in their mall bought trendy clothes. Some of these young-ins are accompanied by their awkward parents. Needless to say, I'm the odd man out with my muttonchops, Black Keys shirt, neck tattoo and militant cap. Maybe I should mingle and make some friends? But do I really want to talk about Abercrombie's Fall line up, Lady Gaga's new CD or go on mall dates? Oh hell no. So why am I here? New student orientation and it's required.

Normally I like being the deviant in the pack. But this time it sucks because I'm paying for it. How am I paying for it? By missing work and I'm sure some of the thousands of dollars I dish out for a higher education went towards this painful event. I'm a junior year transfer student from Virginia and college life isn't new to me. The question is, why oh why must I waste a day from 9am until 1pm, sitting through this nonsense? Just let me take my classes and finish my bachelor's in peace.

The only good I took out of this experience was that I won a t-shirt due to the fact that I am the student transferring from the furthest away college. That would be from Virginia to Wichita of course. The other good thing was that I got to walk the school grounds which I probably never would have done. But overall, it was a waste of my time and tuition. Want to put my dough to better use? Offer more classes in the evening.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh yes, I remember those days. I am so glad to have graduated and moved on from that place. I don't feel like I got the "college" experience I paid for, well still am paying for. I was never challenged by the teachers and could have learned most everything from the library. But it was worth it right? I got a part-time job making a little more than minimum wage, but it's in my field of study! Yay!

    ReplyDelete

Previous Posts

Featured Posts

Labels