Tuesday, June 28, 2011

THE QUEST FOR AN ICON

I've struggled for what feels like eons, to solidify a decent icon that could help represent lastdeviant besides just the name. I know it has been well used and abused by the corporate marketers and the propaganda machine en masse, but it really is a powerful tool. I feel like I need a symbol that's instantly recognizable yet not too tacky or cliche. Just look at how much of an impact a good symbol can make on you.


I want it to be straightforward, semi self-explanatory and minus the bells and whistles so it won't draw attention away from my works. Over the years, the gas mask has somehow integrated itself as my shtick but every chintzy dill hole that tries to be "edgy" uses that too. It's also become really trendy now that everyone is infatuated with zombies and end of the world movies. I love them but I don't want to be solely known as the gas mask guy. Hence, that's out as a possible icon.

So maybe the key is something with just letters? I do have a thing for fonts because well... I'm a little bit of a geek. It finally came to me (as corny as it sounds) in a dream. I envisioned an "L" and a "D" slamming together with a locking sound. It was a pretty small part of that nights dreaming escapades and completely random. But seeing as it resurfaced from the depths of my twisted brain when I awoke, I took it as a sign that it should be brought into fruition and tried out. I'm sure there will be various color versions but the core two will look like the below image. I'll probably use the white "L" version more often than the black. Oh and that has nothing to do with race because I'm an equal opportunity font employer. Subconsciously white comes forward to the viewer and black recedes. I don't want the monochrome "L" getting upstaged by the fiery red "D" and drama to ensue. Fonts can be real bitches to work with. Anyways...


There you have it! Simple, solid and it will look great on a shirt sleeve or a button. You'll see it up and out front this week sometime when I post a new splash page for the site. Don't worry though, I won't plaster it everywhere like most ad whore corporations. Just expect to see it integrated here and there. Like for instance as my new favicon that's been up for a few weeks. Just in case you're not as nerdy as I am and you don't know what a favicon is, look at the little icon next to the lastdeviant URL or take a gander at the screen shot below. Booyah!



I would love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. Looks good, dude! I like it. Very professional...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it.... This will make your assimilation into the corporate machine a seamless one. Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Previous Posts

Featured Posts

Labels