Wednesday, September 8, 2010

KANOPOLIS STATE PARK

Everyone wants to make the most of their Labor Day extra time off from work. Nicky and I decided to get the hell out of dodge and hit the hills. You might be thinking where in the hell in Kansas can you find decent hills and interesting natural formations to keep my interest? This was my first thought as well when planning this excursion. But not everywhere in the old sunflower state is flat my friends. Kanopolis State Park was a prime example of just that.

Never once in my thirty one years on this earth (and half of them being spent in Kansas) have I ever heard of this place. I looked up a ton of parks and this one had a couple choice words that people used to describe them besides just peaceful, secluded and level.

There were sandstone canyons, a beautifully hilly skyline, plenty of rocks to climb, cliff holes (they called them caves), lush prairies, babbling streams and rivers and for added visual stimulation... a decent dam!



My piece of crap Blazer was actually a god send on this trip though.The four wheel drive got us through rough terrain and over grown back roads. Then the last day and a half a huge wind storm came rolling though. We ended up having to sleep in my truck. Again, I was thankful I don't have an open bed truck and that the seats lay down so it was actually kind of nice in there.

All in all it was a kick ass state park. Not a lot of people, plenty to do, horses everywhere and spiders galore. Ew, wait... spiders are icky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts

Labels