Tuesday, April 26, 2011

ACKNOWLEDGMENT

Everyone likes to feel they worth a doo-doo. Acknowledgment is an easy way to make everyone feel tad bit better. So why not at least give a basic salutation to people when you make eye contact? When I walk next to you in the hallway, sidewalk, store, or where ever, say hi. You don't have to spark up a conversation, just say good morning and then scurry away. Hell, if you aren't having a good morning just simply say morning. I also accept hey, yo, sup or even stating my name. Don't feel like talking? Then just freaking nod at me, you bitter ninny. Feigning interest in something else to avoid these greetings is a sign of weakness. If I even slightly know you, I will definitely call your ass out on it. We all are aware of the typical avoidance techniques:
  • Intensely looking out the window even though you know nothing new is going on in the parking lot
  • Reading whatever it is you are carrying
  • Poking at your phone like you got an urgent message
  • Staring at the floor like you are memorizing the carpet patterns
  • Pretend stretching
  • Phony yawning
  • Rubbing a fictitious ache or pain while partially closing your eyes
  • Adjusting an article of clothing with that lame frown on your face
  • Acting like you forgot something then turning around to find another route
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt at least once. You might not have noticed me in a busy environment which is completely understandable. I also know the two of us might be insanely busy. But repeat offenders will be confronted. I have no problem diving balls first through your little passive resistant bubble. I mean, how hard is it to say "Hey homie!" as you're running by?

Another thing that drives me even more nuts is when I smile at someone and they don't smile back. We might be complete strangers but are you so cold and dead inside that you can't be compassionate to your fellow man even in the slightest? I'm not flirting with you. I'm not some creepy stalker or a suspicious wack-a-doo. I don't want to sell you anything. I'm not going to ask you a favor or want something. It's pretty obvious if someone is going to bug you or when they might require avoidance for weirdo factor reasons. Circumvent those particular people, not the friendly passerby. If you have trouble figuring out which is which, maybe you should get out more often and stop being a recluse.

Anyways, common courtesy is a good thing regardless of who the person is. So I'll tell you what I tell my daughter… play nice, monkey face.

1 comment:

  1. "Moving parts in rubbing contact require lubrication to avoid excessive wear. Honorifics and formal politeness provide lubrication where people rub together. Often the very young, the untraveled, the naïve, the unsophisticated deplore these formalities as "empty," "meaningless," or "dishonest," and scorn to use them. No matter how "pure" their motives, they thereby throw sand into machinery that does not work too well at best." - Robert Heinlein

    I will freely admit that I don't smile often, and I'm not often big on small talk, but I'll acknowledge your existance, even if it's just by way of a nod or a slight grunt.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Posts

Labels