Monday, April 25, 2011

MOVIE REVIEW: THE KING'S SPEECH AND THE FIGHTER

A double based on true events feature!

Short (Semi Spoiler Free) Verdicts

The King's Speech
The dysfunctional inner workings of the British royal family via the plight of a wussy, downtrodden, would-be king. Very well written and acted with just enough elements of seriousness and wartime undertones to help it shed off the rosy comedy feel.
Stars: ★★★★☆

The Fighter
You're standard boxing come-upins movie but with crack sprinkles on top! Fights, sibling rivalry, worthless kin and grimy scumbags aplenty but well worth a screening.
Stars: ★★★★☆

Full Reviews (SPOILER ALERT)

The King's Speech
I can describe this with the timeless words of Floyd, "Hanging on quiet desperation is the English way." When things are crappy you suck it up, keep your mouth shut and stay classy until the bitter end. I do get quite a chuckle when Brits lose their cool... they make cuss words fun again! I dig movies rooted in history and it was interesting to see that the duke of York had such a dysfunctional childhood. This in turn caused him to stutter and be a wuss all the way until he was forced into being king. It's nice to see our leaders humanity every now and again. I liked Churchill's softer side as well even if it was just a bit part. The speech therapist, played by Geoffrey Rush, really stole center stage with his humor and wit. Plus, this flick had one of my favorite male actors, Guy Pearce so it automatically gets brownie points.

By the end, my cheeks were rosy and I was thoroughly entertained. It did tug the old heart strings here and there even if it is hard for me to feel sorry for a guy born with a silver spoon in his ass. On a side note, I still don't think it should have won best picture this year over Black Swan or possibly even Inception. Though I love 'em and their accents, this was just a movie about Brits being Brits!

The Fighter
Marky Mark Wahlberg playing the red blooded underdog that just wants a shot? He just seems built for this kind of role but that's nothing new. The real noteworthy actor in this movie was Christian Bale. This guy proves again and again that he really puts everything he's got into a character, even when it's painful to watch like in the excellently dark film, The Machinist. This time it wasn't painful because he was a walking skeleton but because he played a greasy, selfish, narrow visioned, crackhead who's holding back his younger brother. I can live with the other problems but the little brother bit really gets to me.

The rest of the family wasn't any better though. They were some of the trashiest and most simple minded waste of spaces that America has to offer. The mother was a conniving bitch with a whole gang of scumbag daughter clones that agreed with everything she said. If anyone in her family, be it husband, son or daughter, would get out of line, she would use some bit of off topic drama to wrangle them back under her command. None of them can obviously stop breeding either which is even more sickening. That leads me to my final sad point, I've seen this family before multiple times. Like I mentioned above, this is all based of a true story. Even if Ward eventually knocked out his boxing dreams, all the rest that this movie portrayed really makes me weep for humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Posts

Labels