Friday, March 11, 2011

FEEDBACK

Why is that some bands feel like they have to put a really annoying noise or feedback at the beginning or end of some of their tunes? I can totally understand a cringy guitar release at the end of your rock out session. I also dig the use of some kind of mechanical discord as a beat or hook like what techno or industrial does all the time. But don't shatter my ear drums with a minute long cacophony of ear bleeding ruckus after your tear invoking ballad. Don't stick a nails across a chalkboard in the middle of your song. That just annoys the piss out of me and makes me want to skip to the next track.

Let me work up a mental image in your head.

I have my fat ass eighties stereo system (back when the bigger the speaker the better) cranked up to house rumbling mode. I'll be howling along with some killer song and then a sound like a dying terminator rips through the air. My eyes bulge and I make a mad dash to turn it down before my windows shatter and my teeth turn to dust. I trip on every piece of furniture in my house, step on the cats tail and end up turning the volume knob the wrong way in a panic. That's when Nicky yells at me and/or throws a shoe in my direction. Yep, that completely killed my groove.

You want another scenario? OK...

You're chilling at a stop light on a beautiful day with your windows down. Your hardcore music is blasting so loud that the car pulling up next to you can partake in the glory. Slowly, you glance over with your mirror sunglasses to give the dude or chick next you a "That's right, I fucking rock" nod. But just as you meet face to face, a horrible spine twisting tone races through your speakers, pushing them past their limit. You cringe, grit your teeth, squint one eye and make a face that would cause your momma to Ralph as you fumble with your radio dials. The people next to you snicker as the light changes to green and they peel off. Coolness fail.

Anyways, it's not rad. It's the opposite of rad. It's poopie. Use noise appropriately, musicians. Our speakers, eardrums and egos thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts

Featured Posts

Labels