Friday, November 19, 2010

TOOL

The past few weeks have been very trying for me and like an old beloved friend, Tool has been there to comfort, guide, inspire and identify with me. This was not the first time they have filled me with fervor and it will definitely not be the last. They have been a solid force in my life for well over a decade. I think they just keep getting better and better with each CD too. I hate to use the word epic since it's so overdone these days, but it's one of the first words that comes to mind. Even though they only have four albums out, each have influenced me in more ways than I can relay in words or even fathom. I still get a vast range of emotions that swell up every time I crank one of their tunes. As hard as it is to choose just one, my favorite song would most likely be Eulogy but closely seconded by Sober.

This metal/progressive hard rock band takes you on a mind altering journey from the tear jerking melodic to gut shredding raw riff power. Each band member brings stellar musical prowess to the table with each and every track. Damn near all their songs are laced with precision, complexity and richly textured performances. In my eyes, they are pretty much the modern version of Pink Floyd. That's not a comparison I would lightly hand out either seeing as Floyd is in my top five bands of all time. Not just my personal favorite but I even think Maynard James Keenan is one the greatest vocalists ever ranking with the likes of Freddie Mercury, Robert Plant, David Bowie and Ronnie James Dio.

Deep and cynical lyrics, musical complexity and audio genius is not the end of what Tool offers. Their art and videos are always mind blowing and know no bounds. Dark, thought provoking and unforgettable, their videos are forever etched into my brain. Some might call them creepy, disturbing or just too weird but they are in a league of their own.

In the end, Tool is not just rock music, it's an experience. So I think it's needless to say I fucking love these guys. Now enjoy some official videos!

Sober


Stinkfist


Aenima


Schism


Parabola


Vicarious

2 comments:

  1. Tool has also been a big part of my life. More of a religion then music to me. No other band other then A Perfect Circle have anywhere near the talent that they have. Some of my favorites are "The Patient" "Pushit" "Third Eye" "The Grudge". They have opened up my spiritual side and shown me how to find the silver lining in life.

    In my opinion Marilyn Manson also has a bit of the genius too. No quite as obvious but its there if you know where to look. "Man That You Fear" "Coma White" "Target Audience" "Tourniquet" to name a few that have meaning to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on Chris. Wish you could have seen Puscifer play up here it was a hell of a show.
    And of course it's all subjective, but Manson's "come follow me, sad uncoordinated teenagers" gimmick never really seemed to genius to me. That and all his best work was set to the flawless production of Trent Reznor, who can literally punch mountains in half (FACT). To each his own, but Tool's music is in a league of it's own.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Posts

Labels